QUIZ: Are you prepared for a home fire?


By Kevin Hagler

DULUTH — A dramatic scene developed Monday as an apartment fire broke out in Gwinnett county. Tenant Eric Eberly was hanging on for dear life when the fire department rescued him from a burning building. Yikes!

The Atlanta Red Cross responded and helped relocate some displaced victims. (Check out the dramatic story in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

With the risk of embarrasing myself for emulating one Smokey Bear, this had me thinking: Are YOU prepared for a home fire?

Take the QUIZ.

And make sure to check out safety tips for home fire preparedness below:

  • Keep all potential fuel sources like paper, clothing, bedding, curtains or rugs at least three feet away from space heates, stoves, or fireplaces.
  • Portable heaters and fireplaces should never be left unattended. Turn off space heaters and make sure any embers in the fireplace are extinguished before going to bed or leaving home.
  • If you must use a space heater, place it on a level, hard and nonflammable surface (such as ceramic tile floor), not on rugs or carpets or near bedding or drapes. Keep children and pets away from space heaters.
  • When buying a space heater, look for models that shut off automatically if the heater falls over as another safety measure.
  • Never use a cooking range or oven to heat your home.
  • Keep fire in your fireplace by using a glass or metal fire screen large enough to catch sparks and rolling logs.
  • Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys, and furnaces professionally inspected and cleaned once a year.

Smoke alarms save lives. You should:

  • Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas.
  • Check monthly that smoke alarms are working properly by pushing the test button.
  • Replace batteries in smoke alarms at least once a year.
  • Replace smoke alarms every 10 years.
Advertisements

One response to “QUIZ: Are you prepared for a home fire?

  1. Pingback: Tweets that mention QUIZ: Are you prepared for a home fire? | Metro Atlanta Red Cross -- Topsy.com

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s