The Red Cross is helping thousands of people all across the country affected by wildfires, tropical storms and flooding with shelter, meals, relief supplies and emotional support.
- As many as 480 people spent Monday night in shelters in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, North Carolina, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, throughout New England, and right here in Georgia as a result of flooding from Hurricane Irene and Tropical Storm Lee.
- The remnants of Tropical Storm Lee are affecting some parts of the country where people are still trying to recover from Hurricane Irene. Red Cross workers are operating or supporting shelters, distributing meals and handing out cleaning supplies in areas where recovery efforts have begun.
- In Texas, wildfires have destroyed thousands of acres, burning hundreds of homes in their path and forcing people to flee from their neighborhoods. The Red Cross is operating or supporting 19 shelters in Texas where almost 500 people escaped from the fire and smoke Monday night.
The costs of this multi-disaster response are growing by the hour. We estimate that Red Cross relief services will cost millions of dollars, and we haven’t raised anywhere near that amount. But the public has always come through for us when Americans need help – and we really need your help now.
- The American Red Cross is not a government agency. We rely on donations from the public to provide our services.
- To make a donation visit www.redcross.org , call 1-800-RED CROSS or text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation.
- Contributions can be sent to the Metro Atlanta Chapter at P.O. Box 101508, Atlanta, GA 30392 or to the American Red Cross, P.O. Box 37243, Washington, DC 20013.
As part of our response to Irene, more than 6,300 Red Cross workers have:
- Served more than 1.6 million meals and snacks.
- Provided more than 58,000 overnight stays in hundreds of shelters along the East Coast.
- Handed out more than 516,000 relief items like hygiene kits, mops, brooms, tarps, work gloves and coolers. A mobile-friendly version of our “Returning Home after a Hurricane or Flood Checklist” is available on http://www.redcross.org/mobile.
- Provided more than 19,000 mental health and health services consultations.